Monday, August 17, 2009

HOT...In The Ciii-Tay

I don't care what anyone tells you. Dry heat is still hot. Once the temperature crests triple digits, humidity or not, you still risk spontaneous combustion by running in that nonsense. And why would I even consider running in said nonsense? Because I'm now an official Las Vegas resident, and that's what Las Vegas residents do. The dumb ones, anyway. Or at the very least, the masochistic ones.

I quickly realized that the smart ones run in one of three alternate situations:
1. The butt crack of dawn
2. Whatever you call really stinkin' late at night (perhaps "the camel toe of eve"?)
3. On a treadmill, in a temperature controlled environment, with something flipped on the tube that you can manage to safely watch while pounding the fake pavement

After registering last week for the Inaugural Las Vegas Half Marathon, I realized I was going to have become a smart Las Vegas runner if I had any hope of living to see my 30th bday (this Friday, thankyouverymuch).

So I tried out Option 1 (The butt crack) with my friend and fellow RnR LV trainee, Lindsay, back on Tuesday. The verdict? Man, I'm out of shape. Also, this was the first time I had to run with a hydration belt for a paltry 3 miles. Normally that baby doesn't come out until I'm ready to clear at least a 10K. Did I mention my little water bottles were near bone dry between the two of us? Definitely packing more water the next time I try that.

After healing my "hadn't touched my running shoes in two months" collection of injuries, I embarked on Option 3 on Sunday. In my neighborhood's workout facility, I found the temperate thermostat setting of 70 degrees to be quite pleasant. But despite an enthralling showing of a Scary Movie-esque basketball spoof, I couldn't help but wish I was outside- blazing sun and all.

Since I'm not disciplined enough to run late at night (munchies call), and I get bored pretty quickly in the confines of a community gym, looks like it's time to embrace my inner early bird. Hold the worm, please.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yeah! Finally a new posting! Hope you guys are adjusting to Vegas. Enjoy your last day EVER in your twenties!!! LOL!!!