Saturday, March 21, 2009

Ghosts of races past

OK, I admit it. Running a Half Marathon in 6 weeks was a tad bit on the aggressive side as far as goals go. The lengths one will go just to add a new medal to the running shrine on their garage wall. I swear it seemed like a really amazing idea after watching the Biggest Loser contestants tackle their very first half marathon in 200lb+ bodies. Of course, that scheme was hatched in the warm glow of the DVR. Then the harsh light of day showed up and someone’s tune changed real quick.

Instead of subjecting myself to a morning of pain and misery, speckled with a colorful assortment of inappropriate words sure to be muttered under my breath, I decided to welcome back organized races with something a little more low key and attainable.

It’s been almost 2 years since I last ran in the Union-Tribune’s Race for Literacy. Time to support those little readers-in-training again! My registration is locked and loaded (and going to a cause that I can feel good about).

Here we are again old friend. You, me, chip timing and a small men’s t-shirt waiting for us at the start.

No comments: