Wednesday, May 16, 2007

FIRE!


Well it seems that my quaint hometown of Barnegat, NJ is the subject of some unwanted press today. Already 13,500 acres have burned in and around the town that my mom still calls home. ("Motorists talk to a Barnegat Twp. police officer around 8:00am regarding alternate routes after rt. 72 East was shut down because of the Pinelands wildfire." Image credits: Noah K. Murray/The Star Ledger) (http://blog.nj.com/ledgerupdates/2007/05/wildfire_briefing_planned_for.html)
This isn't exactly running related, but it sort of is. Currently the peaceful, shady stretch of highway I had intended to run on while home in September is ablaze. This does not bode well for my planned destination training.

In other news, my butt is almost fully recovered from the weekend's hiking expedition. FYI- apparently running on flat roads does not do anything for gluteus maximus strength training. After my paltry 2.5 miles last night at a pace best described as a feeble shuffle, I have come to the realization that the weight room really IS important for overall strength and eventual success come race day. It only took 7 miles, 2500 feet up and down to figure it out...

No comments: